The Lilac Preservation Project depends upon dedicated volunteers to achieve its goals to restore Lilac and provide a place to learn about our maritime heritage and enjoy arts and culture. Your time will be rewarded by seeing the ship brought closer to steaming again.
All are welcome, whether sharing your expertise or coming to learn a new skill.
- Many new volunteers begin as Gangway Greeters to welcome visitors on board, provide directions and introduce them to the ship.
- Volunteer docents learn detailed historical and technical information and develop interpretive skills to help tell the ship's story.
- For those volunteers interested in getting their hands dirty, restoration and maintenance require skills from painting to welding to woodworking.
- Volunteers can assist with office duties including bookkeeping, writing press releases and updating the website.
- Lectures, exhibits, performances and receptions require assistance to hang art, set up and run the sound system, tend bar and clean up after.
- Volunteers with experience in oral history and archives can help us record crew stories and care for the ship's documentary history.
- Fundraising is all about building relationships and getting the word out and volunteers can serve as Lilac ambassadors and board members.
Please contact us if you would like to join our crew to get Lilac steaming again or have questions about our work.
If you're ready to pitch in, sign up for our mailing list below to be notified of work sessions and projects. Please read and complete our liability waiver and bring it with you the first time you work.